Friday 9 December 2011

MOSI Research



This week we were introduced into our new project and I'm really excited. We are basing our research around the Museum of Science and Industry. At first I struggled to find inspiration as much of the science side was really technical and based around physics, which I find so hard to get my head around,  and the rest was lots of machinery and automobiles, which don't particularly interest me apart from the cogs, which is quite an overused idea and was already being looked into by others in the group.

On my second visit I looked over the famous scientists of Manchester featured in the museum and have become really interested in the chemist an physicist Ernest Rutherford, who discovered that atoms contain a nucleus. This lead to the splitting of the atom, the creation of the atomic bomb, nuclear energy and radiation therapy, so a broad range of interesting sections within science. I particularly liked the image of radiation (seen in image above on left page), and the colours it creates, which would make a perfect digital print, or at least inspiration for colour palette. The mushroom clouds formed by atomic bombs are wonderful for shape making as they vary at each stage, and would create voluminous shapes that would stand out on the catwalk.

I'm also looking into DNA and Genetic Modification, as the strands and ideas of identity are really fascinating. I liked the colours on the DNA mapping too but think this topic is more limiting/I know fewer starting points in comparison to nuclear physics.