Sunday 8 January 2012

Ballet Mecanique










This week I've been inspired by Fernand Leger's film Ballet Mecanique, after somehow stumbling across it on Youtube. It features a series of repetitive images, some everyday scenes, some shapes and others posed and distorted faces, which combine to create a throbbing and surreal 20 minute film. I particularly enjoyed the theatricality of the woman with the painted face, her heavy make up typical of the 1920s and really exciting for its time. The film feels as modern and exciting now as I'm sure it did back then, using ideas and motifs seen in modern art films that are hailed as new and refreshing.

The motifs and overall look are well linked to fashion and could translate well into print, sttyling and fashion photography. I would love to have the oppurtunity to create a garment or collection inspired by this age. I also want to look into the Dadaist movement, something I know little about as a collective.