Friday 18 November 2011

Shape-Making


























I had a very last minute shape-making session this week as I had to re-do my designs after a tutorial last Thursday. I used pleating inspired by the smocked dress at Platt Hall and the shapes formed by snakes I'd seen in Manchester Museum's reptile room to create an over-layed fabric to embellish a pleated bodice.

I really like the draping on the neckline but I want to create a more wearable but high-end piece so am going to use the top image of pleating at the neck and bust. I need to be careful when stitching the pleats in place, working out a suitable technique to do so and to select a suitable fabric that will easily pleat and hold its shape. I still want a luxurious feel to the garment so cotton wouldn't be suitable for this although it holds its shape. I need to have selected my fabric by the beginning of next week and begin making although still in the process of making the pattern.

Time is tight!